Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Jesus Goggles

"So from now on we regard no one from a worldy point of view..." ~2 Corinthians 5:16

I stared at the woman and willed her to open her mouth. She wouldn't. I gently pushed the spoon against her lips. They would not part. Her eyes stared at me -- I couldn't tell if it was a blank stare, or a malicious one. Either way, it was unsettling me. I shifted in my chair and tried to smile. Jesus, this is ridiculous! I don't have time for this!

"Kendall... Look again. What do you see?"

I looked. I saw a time-worn face; work-worn hands; and sorrow-worn eyes.

"That's My beloved, Kendall."

I blinked and looked again. Her? I knew God loved everybody, and loved them equally. And I also knew that He'd been revealing to me exactly how He felt about me. It was a kind of love I couldn't even begin to comprehend. He passionately longed after me, ached for me to come spend time with me, adored me. I was His beloved, His bride. But that was me. Surely not this woman? Surely He didn't long for her in the same way. Surely His affection for her was comparable to the peck on the cheek that estranged relatives awkwardly exchange at family reunions. Surely time had diminished some of the passion He had for her.

"That's My beloved. How will you treat the one I have called? The one I call holy? The one I call beautiful?"

I took a deep breath. Well, Lord, I can't really help her if she won't let me... So You have to open the mouth of Your beloved!"

"Open yours first."

A smile made its way to my lips as I said, "You have beautiful hair. And that's a wonderful color on you." I put down the spoonful I'd been working at for so long and got a fresh one. "This looks delicious. Would you like to try some?"

Her mouth opened.

The moment you first see Christ's beloved in the face of one person, you begin seeing His prize and His treasure everywhere. He has a story with each of them. He knows everything they've ever been through. Age does not affect His love whatsoever; some of the most poignant examples of Christ's beloved are seen in newborn babies and those about to enter their heavenly home. He is longing after each of them. He treasures them. He smiles and cries with them. All of them.

At times, I protest. "Not him, God. Why in the world would you want him?"

"Him."

And then, if I'm willing, He steps in and gives me "Jesus goggles." He shows me what He sees in these men and women, boys and girls. It never fails to take my breath away.

"Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves... Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality... Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." (Romans 12:10, 12, 15)

I firmly believe we would treat people much differently if we always chose to see them as Christ sees them: Worthy. Longed after. Beloved.

May the eyes of our hearts be opened.