Sunday, July 17, 2011

Better Than Hollywood

I recently read a comment from a young man who stated that women need to turn off the chick flicks, put down the romance novels, and become realistic about their expectations of men. A song on my iPod declares that the moment when the singer meets the love of his life will "play out like a scene straight off the silver screen."

It does seem that many of us have unrealistic expectations about love fueled by Hollywood and the publishing world. We cannot expect a silver-screen love story when we don't have writers from the silver screen whispering into our ear at every turn what exactly we're supposed to do and say.

However, we have a much greater Author who is dying to script our life and love stories. He teaches us that the version of romance and love in movies is so shallow compared to what He has to offer. The man (or woman) He wants to build for us is nothing like the shallow, self-centered protagonists who also happen to have incredible good looks, impeccable timing, and impossibly clever conversational skills.

Heaven's standards are higher than Hollywood's. So while I may be lowering my standards in regard to "Has oodles and oodles of money" and "Has perfect muscles without spending any time at the gym," God demands that we raise our standards in the things that He really cares about. After all, marriage is supposed to be an earthly reflection of the divine romance between Christ and His church. He is not going to settle for anything less than a perfect romance!

So what has God been teaching me about the kind of husband He wants to build for me? The following was written after an afternoon with my heavenly Bridegroom:

He will be tall. He will be strong. He will be able to carry any burden. He will daily go forth into battle. He will daily spend his life, living under the knowledge that he could be asked to give up his body and breath at any time. He will love with an inhuman love. He will spread out his arms and stretch out his neck to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. He will refuse defeat. He will refuse mediocrity.

When I say tall, I mean possessing significant spiritual stature. When I say strong, I mean the muscles of his prayer life will be well-developed from constant use. When I say he will be able to carry any burden, I mean that his life is not his own – he is living the life of Jesus Christ, who thereby carries his burdens for him.

He will be a man completely devoted to doing the will of his Father in heaven. He will be a warrior for the Kingdom of Christ. He will be a true man, heedless of the world’s applause and lost in love for his God. He will be filled with joy in the King’s presence. He will be excited about the Gospel.

He will be faithful. He will be kind. He will be filled with the Holy Spirit’s discretion. He will confront trouble head-on, unafraid to run into the fray and risk life and limb for the glory of the Great Commander. He will be horrified by the injustices of the world, but confident in the power of the One who has declared, “It is finished.” He will not cease pleading and fighting until the will of heaven is done on earth.



It may seem like a tall order to fill. Perhaps you think there is no such man. But I believe that God has created me for nothing less than this passionate follower of Christ; and if there is no one on earth who matches this description, my heavenly Prince is far more than able to satisfy all the longings of my feminine heart.

You, too, are worth more than a Hollywood bad boy or nigh-masculine businesswoman. Do not lower your standards; rather, allow them to be reshaped, refine, and raised to the standard of Christ.

I shall not settle. I shall wait on the Lord, pursuing Him and becoming the kind of woman that the kind of man described is looking for. I have complete confidence in my God that He can bring this man into my life, in His perfect timing. If He does not, I shall rest secure, for "as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you."