Thursday, October 20, 2011

As Time Goes By...

...I am more and more convinced of one thing.

Jesus Christ alone is important.

Academic Success calls out my name. "You need me," he whispers. "I deserve the majority of your time and attention. If you haven't got me, you're useless. How could God use someone mediocre -- or even worse, a failure?"

Jesus whispers back, "I use the foolish things to confound the wise. I can use someone who is a 'failure' by the world's standards, and use her for My glory more than a straight-A student who doesn't need to depend on Me would ever let Me. Yes, work hard. Do your best -- but do it unto Me, and do not allow it to replace Me in your life. I will take care of the rest."

Popularity drapes her arm around me. "Of course you need me!" she laughs loudly. "How will you ever get ahead in life without me? How will you ever get the message of Jesus out if people don't know who you are?"

Jesus lifts the heavy weight of her arm from my shoulders. "People don't need to know who you are, Kendall," he says. "They need to know who I am."

Regret slithers his cold hand into mine. "I keep you company at night," he hisses alluringly. "You'd be so lonely without me. Admit it -- without me, you wouldn't even know who you are. The things you've done shape you, Kendall, and I'm part of it. You can't get rid of me."

"I am making all things new!" Jesus declares, breaking Regret's dark hold on me. "I have laid down My life so that you may start over and have a new identity -- one that is founded in Me, and the truth about who I created you to be." He gently places His hand in mine. "And I will keep you company -- always."

Romantic Love waltzes up with a giggle and takes my other hand. "Without me, your life isn't complete!" she exclaims dramatically. "You will never be truly happy or fulfilled while I'm not around." So saying, she slips away and darts out of my reach, beckoning for me to come chase after her.

"Romantic Love cannot satisfy you," Jesus says warmly. "She will let you down. You must be fully, completely satisfied by Me alone if you are ever going to experience a love story the way it was meant to be experienced."

And slowly, as everything I've chased and pursued is stripped away, I realize something wonderful: Everything I want and need to be satisfied, to be fulfilled, is right in front of me. I need not waste time chasing these things and coming up empty and confused. He's here. That's all I need -- all I'll ever need.

"For every need and want is found in You -- every breath in me a gift from You. I have nothing here apart from You. I am Yours, Lord...only Yours." ~Meredith Andrews, "Only To Be Yours"