Sunday, October 2, 2011

A New Thing

"Kendall."

"ACK!" I jump and hurriedly stuff the papers in my hand under my pillow. "Ahem. Hi."

"What are you doing?"

"Oh, just, You know..." I awkwardly twirl my hair around my finger. "Just doing a bit of, uh...reading."

"Something I wrote?"

I bite my lip and look at the Bible that sits closed on my desk. "Well..."

"Will you let Me see it?"

I know very well that He already knows what it is I have stuffed under my pillow. Slowly, I pull out the crumpled pages and hand them to Him. He accepts them, but He isn't looking at the writings in His hand. He's looking at me.

"You told Me you were through with this story."

"I am!" I exclaim earnestly. "I haven't added any more to it, I promise. I just..." I look at the worn pages longingly. "I like to go back sometimes."

He comes and sits down beside me. "Why is that?"

"I --" My eyes fill with tears. "I don't know," I whisper, shaking my head.

He sets the pages aside and directs my gaze to the Book on my desk. I reach for it, and He directs me to the page He desires me to know. The lines have been marked, but how many times have I simply passed the words by, never letting them sink into my heart? Gently, sweetly, He begins to read to me...

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland..."


Lord, may my eyes be drawn to the new things you do in my life. May I ever look forward, not in regret or in wishing to the past. Capture my heart...let me be in love with the God who makes all things new.